Have you ever watched a film and wished you could visit the mansion or castle that the characters live in? Well, Nile Guide has found the top 10 mansions you can visit. From the site of the imprisonment of Mary Queen of Scots to the setting of Shakespeare in Love:
- Chatsworth House in North Derbyshire as seen in Pride and Prejudice and The Wolfman. Complete admission cost is £18, but if you buy your tickets online, you can save 10%! (Senior & Student: £16, child: £12, family: £50) You can spend less if you only want to visit just the house or the gardens, but with a combination ticket you see more and save off both.
- Highclere Castle in Hampshire as seen in Downtown Abbey and Eyes Wide Shut. Highclere has several packages to choose from. Choose from a gardens ticket (£5/£1), a gardens & Egyptian exhibition ticket (£9.50/£5), a castle & gardens ticket (9.50/£5) and a combo ticket hat gives you entry to all three (£16/£9.50).
- Alnwick Castle in Northumberland as seen in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and Harry Potter. Right now you can pay admission for a day and visit for the whole year, and get 5% off! Garden ticket: £12/£4, Castle ticket: £14/£7 or combo ticket: £24/£10.
- Hatfield House in Hertfordshire as seen in Batman Returns, Laura Croft Tomb Raider, Sherlock Holmes, Get Him to the Greek, Shakespeare in Love and more! Explore over 400 years of history with a combo ticket: £15.50/£8.50, house ticket: £10/£5.50 and tickets for east and west gardens, farm, guided tours and more. Pay just £3 for the audio tour.
- Wardour Castle in Wiltshire as seen in Billy Elliot and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Visit this English Heritage site for just £4/£2.40 which includes an audio tour. You can also take special spooky tours, see an outdoor play or a recreation of the siege of Wardour. Additional admission applies.
- Haddon Hall in Derbyshire as seen in The Princess Bride. General admission costs up to £18, but you can save 48% by purchasing a ticket for entry after noon. There are also guided tours, special evening events and garden entry that you can attend.
- Lunton Hoo Hotel in Hertfordshire as seen in James bond’s Never Say Never Again and The World is Not Enough as well as Quills and War Horse. Stay in this well-known luxury hotel. Enjoy an amazingly affordable break throughout 2012 on the Jubilee Celebration deal for just £60 per person per night, including breakfast.
- Mentmore Towers in Buckinghamshire as seen in The Mummy Returns. Unfortunately, the Towers has changed hands and is in the process of being turned into a resort, so tours are not available, but if you happen to be in the area, I’m sure you could jump out and take some photos of the property.
- Saltram House in Plymouth as seen in Sense and Sensibility. Wander the grounds and house for a paltry £9.40/£4.60, where your admission fee will pay for protecting green spaces and historical places. Arrive on bicycle or public transport and save.
- Broughton Castle in Oxfordshire as seen in Shakespeare in Love. Discover both the castle and gardens of this beautiful property for just £8/£4.
Why not plan a day trip to visit one of these historic and famous locations? Almost everyone who visits the UK plans a trip to Notting Hill and Tower Bridge, but these uncommon destinations for travelers will make your holiday a bit more special and interesting.